Football: Rock Bridge recap


Cody Bahl

The trip started with a two hour and two minute road trip on a coach bus and ended with a celebration as the Lee’s Summit West Titans beat the Rock Bridge Bruins 28-7 to improve their record to 4-0.

The Titan defense was ferocious in the first quarter forcing two turnovers on the first two offensive drives for Rock Bridge; the first turnover being a fumble that put the Titans in a good field position, however, they were unable to capitalize. Senior Jake Grauberger was able to pick off the second turnover of the first quarter. The offense warmed up with about eight minutes left in the first as Ben Kobel found Sammy Cooper for a 40-yard pass to put the Titans in the red zone.

On the next play, Kobel found senior Cade Clemons for a 6-yard touchdown to put the Titans ahead 7-0. After a quick three and out for the Bruins, offensive coordinator, Stacey Edwards pulled a trick out of his sleeve. The Titans put their own spin on the Philly Special as Kobel handed off to junior Sammy Cooper who pitched the ball to Clemons who found Kobel wide open down the sideline for 44-yards to extend the Titan lead to 14-0.

Early in the second quarter, Kobel was able to find junior Trevor Kardell down the sideline for a 50-yard touchdown to push the Titans ahead 21-0. The defenses went back and forth for the majority of the second half until the Bruins were able to score their first touchdown of the game. The defense held strong on a last minute drive by Rock Bridge and the Titans headed into the locker room at half up 21-7.

For the first 10 minutes of the third quarter, there was very little offensive as the Titans looked to establish a run game and both defenses held strong; However, with three minutes left in the third quarter the Titans drove into the red zone. Coach Vincent Careswell decided to leave the offense on the field on fourth-and-4 and Kobel was able to find Cade Clemons on a quick slant for a touchdown. Senior Mykal Wiley sent the extra point through the uprights and the Titans went up 28-7.

The rest of the game was a punt fest as neither offense could do enough to get the ball across the goal line. By the time it was all said and done, the Titans had won 28-7 and are the last undefeated team left in Lee’s Summit.