I made this for a 4th of July party this year and thought I would share the recipe. They can be made in any color, but this is the red, white, and blue edition!
By Mackenzie Elliott
Prep time: 6 hours (mostly refrigerating) Cook time: 11 minutes
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- food coloring of your choice (red and blue for this recipe)
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- With a mixer, beat the butter for roughly 2 minutes until it is smooth. Then add the sugar and mix until smooth. Next, continue adding in the eggs and vanilla, mixing until smooth each time.
- Once that is ready, add the mixture of flour/salt/baking powder to the butter/eggs/sugar/vanilla. I would only add a few spoons at a time because the flour can get messy.
- Next, separate the dough into 3 equal sections. I recommend using a scale to measure out exactly.
- Now, put one of the sections back in the mixer and add food coloring of your choice. Once that one is finished, do the same with the other sections. I only did two sections because my third was white.
- Once your sections are blended, shape them into a 4×4 inch square, wrap them in plastic wrap and put them into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove each square of dough from the fridge and cut them into halves, forming rectangles. Place one rectangle of each color back in the fridge.
- Roll out each section of dough separately on pieces of wax paper until they are about 1/8 inch thick.
- Place them on top of each other (without the wax paper) and roll the three layers together. Tip: use the wax paper to help transfer the dough evenly on top of the each other.
- Repeat the flattening and rolling process (previous 2 steps) with the dough from the fridge.
- Cover the two rolls in wax paper and stack them upright inside a cup so they do not develop a flat side.
- Place the two cups in the fridge for 4 more hours.
- Once the two rolls are done chilling, you are ready to bake!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove the dough from the fridge and slice them into rounds and set them on the baking sheet. Place the rounds about 2 inches apart because the cookies will expand while baking. Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes or until done. Then transfer them on a rack to cool.
I hope this recipe works out for you! Enjoy!
This recipe is also shown a different way by Kayla Uhl and Lauren Dismond. Click here to watch it!